Sunday, February 18, 2007

withdrawal symptoms

The seminar is over... for this year. It has become a matter of routine to have the national seminar every year. But is it loosing its substance and objective to the ritualistic manner of its organisation? We (the teachers) start with certain assumptions and come to the conclusion that this will be useful and supplement classroom teaching. How much of the assumption is valid? Some programmes in the past have been organised due to the need that students articulated; similary some were dropped when it was seen to have few takers. Today, as the memory of the latest seminar is fresh in everyones mind, can we have some genuine feedback, ideas and criticism on each and every aspect of the same.
Let me take this opportunity to thank everyone- speakers, students, collegues and support staff for the seminar. I would, of course, like to name everyone. The obvious people in the organising committee, Sheetal, Nelson, Manasa, Payal, Rakesh Meher, Tejaswini Thirtha, Bharat, Romal, Shrenik Avlani and Mr. John Thomas. Whoever thought one person can make anything happen is sadly off the mark- cooperation and group effort is the only way.

6 comments:

Anju Christine said...

I've been thinkin bout the seminar sir......n i dunno y but out of the whole seminar, I feel that there was only one particular place where I actually learnt something...I used to be very critical towards TOI.. now i c the point and in fact im pro-TOI now........the 2nd, 3rd and fourth seminar were definitely more interesting and the speakers were better at presentation but it didn't really make a big difference tome bcos the points that they put forth were predictable and things that I could've reasoned out on my own.. I dint really need these guys flyin in from all parts of the country to tell me that......... The topics were of course useful for us considerin our syllabus but I would like to hear atleas some fresh topics at a seminar lik this..... I do not kno if somethin cud really be done tho, bcos they organising committee cud not possibly determine what the speakers wud say.. Understanding this, amazing job!

Istar Rómestámo said...

Well...
Sir...
I actually loved the panel on films the most and hats off to Edison for taking all those highly biased comments...
It's funny though...
I dont think i learnt anything new...
Lots of my views were reaffirmed all through the seminar, and that felt nice :)
Wish i could have taken part a bit more in the organisation...
Somehow felt left out :)
But i guess thats how its gonna be in a month and a half from now...
So gotta get used to it :)

Istar Rómestámo said...

Well...
Sir...
I actually loved the panel on films the most and hats off to Edison for taking all those highly biased comments...
It's funny though...
I dont think i learnt anything new...
Lots of my views were reaffirmed all through the seminar, and that felt nice :)
Wish i could have taken part a bit more in the organisation...
Somehow felt left out :)
But i guess thats how its gonna be in a month and a half from now...
So gotta get used to it :)

T said...

hello sir, was browsing through your blog today after really long. Work does take its toll. Reading through this, i realise now how much more time we had in college, as students. And we dint even realise it then! well same ol story with everyone i suppose.

Seminars (though dreaded at times) were great windows to the real world. Another realisation, coming in late! :)

Perhaps students now realise that earlier than some of us did!

- Tarang

Sh'shank said...

i have now missed it twice sir...
and i know i have missed a fair bit...
sir and u need to be thanked...

Sujyothi said...

I totally agree with all you have said.We were the ones to be around when you took the first step.
I am sure it has paid off...and many more like us have benefitted from the Seminar.i still keep the folder with me to retain the spirit of College!!
Thank You Sir.